Several years ago when I was in youth group there was a group going to Guatemala to a kids home in the winter. Something that there were in great need of was blankets. A group of us kids got together and made quilts to send down there. I loved making the quilts! It was so fun picking out the patterns and prints and making them for the children that needed them.
Over the weekend mom helped brush me up on my sewing skills and she helped me make Bennett two pillows and a blanket.
Over the weekend mom helped brush me up on my sewing skills and she helped me make Bennett two pillows and a blanket.
Blue white and gray chevron with minky dot on one side. The minky dot is expensive, sheds, and is not easy to sew with because it's so stretchy, but it turned out pretty good and it's so soft. I know he's going to love it!
I love them so much and I think they go great with his room! I put one pillow in his crib.
Then a blanket and pillow for the glider.
Then on Sunday with some left over gray and white polka dot fabric I had, I decided to make him a quilt! Yes, he already has several blankets, but he's going to be a newborn in winter, so we will have plenty for him to stay warm in! :)
I'm definitely not a pro, but to show just how easy it is to make a quilt, here's some step by step instructions. {For all of you extremely talented seamstress' out there... don't judge!}
1. Pick out your fabric and cut your squares.
2. Lay the according to the pattern you want.
3. Sew one row at a time.
4. Then sew the rows together. {Yeah, I know.. so not even. He isn't going to care. ;)}
5. Ta-da!
Then for the backing. I chose tan fleece! You know I wanted to pick gray, but he's got a ton of gray stuff already.
1. Cut the backing the same size as the top layer of the quilt and sew together!
2. Then I sewed on the silk ribbon binding around the edges. {It helps to hid imperfections}
My squares aren't even, my lines are not sewn straight, but for the first blanket I've made in years.. I think it turned out pretty well! Besides... I think people will be too busy looking at our handsome man then my crooked sewing techniques on the blanket! ;)
I'm definitely not a pro, but to show just how easy it is to make a quilt, here's some step by step instructions. {For all of you extremely talented seamstress' out there... don't judge!}
There are the tools I used. Cutting mat, the square thingy to measure, and the cutter that looks just like a pizza cutter! As you can tell from my fancy sewing lingo-I know what I'm talking about here!
1. Pick out your fabric and cut your squares.
2. Lay the according to the pattern you want.
3. Sew one row at a time.
4. Then sew the rows together. {Yeah, I know.. so not even. He isn't going to care. ;)}
5. Ta-da!
Then for the backing. I chose tan fleece! You know I wanted to pick gray, but he's got a ton of gray stuff already.
1. Cut the backing the same size as the top layer of the quilt and sew together!
2. Then I sewed on the silk ribbon binding around the edges. {It helps to hid imperfections}
My squares aren't even, my lines are not sewn straight, but for the first blanket I've made in years.. I think it turned out pretty well! Besides... I think people will be too busy looking at our handsome man then my crooked sewing techniques on the blanket! ;)
At TJMaxx over the weekend I found this elephant basket for $7.99. Of course I had to get it! I can already see toys over flowing from it.
Also found this elephant for $7!
It was originally a brown ombre, so we spray painted it gray to match the nursery!
It was originally a brown ombre, so we spray painted it gray to match the nursery!
T-minus 2 days!






No comments:
Post a Comment